Thursday, July 22, 2010

Baby Gift

One of my friends, who I have known since 1st grade, just had a baby boy this past weekend. So my mom and I sewed up some stuff to send her way.

Here is the whole set laid out: a baby quilt (sewn by mom), a tote bag (also mom), and 3 onesies a burp cloths (me!).
My friend and her husband are into animals so I decided to do all animal onesies this time around. My go to onesie for boys (and one of my faves anyways), the whale:

A zebra (this one does not actually match the quilt fabrics but I included it b/c the baby's room has zebra stripes on the wall and I just happened to have some fabric left over from the chest I refinished awhile back & from the dress I added fabric too--this is now one of my favorites):

And a duck (because my friend's husband gave her a pet duck years ago!):

And here is the beautiful quilt my mom sewed. I still need to attempt to do a quilt sometime soon but just have not found the time yet. I love that my mom uses a pre-quilted solid fabric for the back and just sews it together like a regular blanket. Much faster than doing the actually quilting and it looks great too!

This is on it's way so I hope she ends up liking it!

I Can't Stop!

Yep, you guessed it. I made yet another tank dress today. This time I chopped off the skirt part of this dress...

and attached it to a black tank top. I really did not wear this dress much before because I always found the top to be a bit awkward. Maybe because I wore it right after I had Ava and filled it out more. Or maybe because it was low cut and not good for everyday wear especially around my 3 year old. So since I bought it 3 years ago for my HS reunion, I decided it was worth it to cut it up and recyle it into my favorite style of dress.

Here is the after photos...I am dork. Did not like any of the photos I took (although I never really do) so thought I would give you all 4 dorky self portraits of me in the after version.
Still think I prefer the ones where you don't see my face. Ha!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Birds on a Wire Painting

This weekend I finished up another painting for Ava's room. You remember the big blank wall space above her bed (here)? Well this "Birds on a Wire" mixed media painting is going there.

I used fabric, doilies, telephone book pages, paint, charcoal, and glue to make this. Here are some close ups of some of the birds.

And here it is in the room (right next to my big Pinkalicious painting -- notice how the colors coordinate? I love that you can do crazy bold colors in kid's rooms).
I thought I was done with her room (and I pretty much am) but have decided to fix some shadow boxes she has on the wall to make the more colorful and to add something to the entryway as it is a little dull too. But it is coming along!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Tank Dress

Once again, I decided to recycle some of my clothes. This time an Old Navy tank top that was WAY too long and kind of boxy and an ill fitting strapless dress from Target. I loved the dress last year but after wearing it a few times the chest part got stretched on one side and was a bit off.

So, I cut off the top of the dress (but kept a few rows of the shirring) and cut off most of the shirt to make this cute little empire waisted tank dress. I love it! These are my favorite pieces of clothing this year (if you can't tell) and I am so glad it is so easy to make them...especially when you are using 2 old pieces of clothing. Very little sewing my friends!

I also think next time I make a dress and have to make the skirt part myself, I will opt to do rows of shirring at the top as it looks better than elastic, is more comfortable and gives it just the right amount of stretch there. The only way this dress could be better is if I had taken the time to take the skirt apart and put pockets in. But I did not want to bother with that since it was already sewn. I'm lazy, what can I say. But I do love me some pockets.

PS. Sorry for the lame photos but no one is around to take my photo so my bedroom mirror & bad lighting will have to do!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Refinishing a Cedar Chest - Done!!

I finally finished the cedar chest I started oh so long ago (see here for a refresher). Here are the final pics.

It's red! With a brown glaze to accentuate the detailed molding. It was funny b/c when I first painted it, the color in the can looks hot pink and I was worried that somehow the oops paint I got was not red. But it dried into this nice dark red. Darren of course thinks it borders on Aggie maroon and was thrilled. Me, being a longhorn albeit a 2%er, was not thrilled with this being called "maroon" or "Aggie" anything. But I still like it!

Side view.
Inside! The front compartment was completely sanded down to nice cedar but the 2 back compartments had a felt of some sort that was glued in and looked old and grungy. So I bought some foam board, cut it to size, covered it in some upscale brown/white zebra print and voile! A modern and stylish cedar chest. Note: the main area below was untouched after the sanding and is just plain cedar. I could cover it with the same print but decided since it was the bulk of the storage that I would leave it alone.

And in case you were too lazy to click on my link above, here is the reminder of what the chest looked like (keep in mind this was already after some looked nicer than this but was just not my style). This chest looks light years different from where it began.

The inside...see the felt! Ew! My father-in-law sanded off the glue in the front compartment thought but I still decided to cover it for aesthetic reasons.

One more thing knocked off my list! Strangely enough I really want to start looking into refinishing other stuff. Chairs and other things with cool shapes and molding. We'll see!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...