Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake

So for Halloween this year, Ava wanted to be Strawberry Shortcake (pretty funny to me since I loved SS as a child growing up in the 80's but apparently she has made a comeback).  I looked around online but could only either find frilly & country versions of the old Strawberry Shortcake or hideous satiny versions of the new Strawberry Shortcake.  And they were all expensive! 

So I did what I do these days...I decided to make her a dress myself.  Of course what I originally envisioned is not what I actually made but that's because 1) Ava really wanted Strawberry Shortcake fabric she saw at the store and 2) when you don't use a pattern, things don't always turn out quite like you want(i.e. it's not as bubbly as I imagined and it a bit shorter than I wanted --good thing there are tights!).  We went with the newer version of Strawberry since that fabric Ava chose was of her instead of Straberry circa 1980.

Anyways, Ava loves the final version (she actually hugged it to her chest and kissed it when I gave it to her) so that is all that matters.  I decided to make a bubble dress that she could actually wear more than just on Halloween, bought her a really cute strawberry crochet newsboy hat off Etsy & some green striped tights.  On Halloween I promised her we would spray her hair so it would be pink/red so she will really look like SS then.

Here is Ava modeling her new costume (which I can now not get off of her!)
 "I love my dress!"

P.S. Someone is excited.  Something tells me she may wear this a few times before Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...